Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lars and the Real Girl

This was my first week at the hospital where I wasn't doing orientation and I am glad that it is over! Not that it was bad but it is just information overload all the time. I need to stretch out my brain after all the dying it did working at the restaurants....

Anywho, Miranda and I decided that we were too tired to do anything exciting this weekend so we opted for watching a movie and eating candy instead with two other interns. The first week of internship our director had told us that one of her favorite movies was "Lars and the Real Girl." None of us had seen it so we decided to rent it.

I don't really remember when this movie came out except thinking that is looked kinda silly and dumb. My heart sank to think that Ryan Gosling had resorted to this after such a beautiful performance in The Notebook. But after seeing this movie, I have been put in my place. Just a quick synopsis:

Lars is kinda a socially weird guy living in the garage behind his brother's house. He buy a life size doll online and starts pretending it is his girlfriend. I know you are probably all thinking this sounds very inappropriate but he is very respectful and even has her sleep at his brothers house in the guest room. He is kind and caring towards her, and very sweet. Lars' family takes him to the doctor because they think he is crazy but the doctor recommends they go along with it for a while. Soon the whole town gets in on it and starts treating Lars' "girlfriend" like she is a real person.

This movie was kind of heart warming for me and my friends and at the end we all were saying what a great message it had...except we couldn't think of what the message was! I never really was good at this sort of thing in English class when we read novels and I guess I am still not so great. After a lot of pondering on the matter I decided the overall message was just simple kindness and love. The people in town loved Lars so much that they treated a doll like she was a person, and did it in a big way. They brought her flowers, they invited her to parties, they elected her to the school board, and just made her involved in their lives. I guess sometimes we expect the moral of the story to be something earth shattering or life changing but it doesn't always have to be that way.

Have you shown kindness to someone today?

1 comment:

  1. I love this movie! I just recently saw it too, and I agree it has a great message! You just feel good after watching it. It sounds like you are having a good time in Virginia!

    ReplyDelete