Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Triumph

I don't want this to sound like bragging but I had an awesome thing happen today. I have been working with a patient for a couple weeks now and is particularly difficult because he has many bad diseases, is very underweight, and is only 23. He also is from another country and doesn't speak english so there have been some cultural and language barriers when it comes to getting him to eat. So I have spent a lot of time using a translator phone trying to figure out what food we have that we can bring him and I wrote it all up and left it at his bedside so he could hand it to the person who gets his meals for him. Yesterday was my last day with this patient so I am not working with him anymore but I did get a call from the attending physician telling me she was impressed with the work I did with him and the idea I came up with to get him eating....and attendings never call a lowely dietetic intern....this is kinda a big deal.

And in other good news. I move onto nutrition support tomorrow which means I will be working with patients who are on tube feedings. The cool part though is I will be working in the surgical trauma intensive care unit so will get to see a lot of interesting cases...I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are kicking butt, cant wait to see ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah! I'm so glad I now know what your blog address is! And I'm glad you're having a great time in Virginia. Can I come visit, soon, please?! And now that I've read your post on Lars and the Real Girl, we can share in the awesomeness that is that movie. Love you!

    ReplyDelete