Tuesday, July 14, 2009

New Recipe

I am currently on a new rotation that is very easy and I like to refer to it as "vacation rotation." This means I have a lot of time to sit and ponder things of my liking but still look like I am doing something related to nutrition, so I usually look up recipes. I also am currently working on a project with a farmer's market developing recipes for current produce that needs to sell, so things are working quite nicely. One of the vegetables that I am working on is cabbage. I will admit that I don't eat much cabbage but not because I dislike it, just because I don't know what to do with it.

I have a favorite Rachel Ray recipe that I have made but I don't know what it is called, or exactly what is in it but it has chicken broth, green onions, egg noodles, ground turkey meatballs, and lots of paprika. It is some kind of Scandinavian soup, I think. Anyway the point is I got the brilliant idea to substitute the egg noodles with cabbage shreds and my new recipe was born. It probably has already been done but this was my own little epiphany for today so I came home from work to make it, and I am taking partial credit for it. I don't like to think of cutsie names so I am just going to call it what it is. The recipe was quite simple, and this is how it went:

Sarah's Turkey Meatball Cabbage Soup

Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage (approx 4 links)
Plain Bread Crumbs (approx 1 cup)
1 egg
Fresh Garlic (approx 1 tsp)
Green Onions (approx a small bunch)
Half a Medium Cabbage
Paprika
Pepper
Bay Leaf

1. It's all about the pre-preparation in this recipe. Cut your scallions on a diagonal and set aside. Slice cabbage into thin ribbons and set aside.
2. Remove turkey sausage from casing and mix with fresh garlic, egg, and bread crumbs. I added pepper and paprika at this point but no salt is really needed. Form into meatballs the size of a ping pong ball and set aside.
3. Bring chicken broth to a boil and add bay leaf. Add meatballs and cook for 2 or 3 minutes and then add cabbage and onion. Add some paprika to the broth. This helps add a little flavor and also a great color. Cook until meatballs are cooked through and cabbage is to desired softness.

Notes: It doesn't sound like much but it really is delicious. I added some orzo too because I love my carbohydrates. Some potato cubes could be good too. I also thought about adding yellow squash at the end for color, or maybe purple cabbage too. I also think red pepper flakes would be good to add some more spice.


It may be really hot because it is summer but you should try it sometime. And tell me if you like it...

1 comment:

  1. sounds delicious!

    but i will wait until i'm in the good ol' FDA-approved US of A before I try it because i refuse to get sick here ever again.

    ReplyDelete